Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

cloning the husband

If only I had the man energetic enough today to install the rest of the electrical outlets, fix the lightfittings, put up the balcony railings, move some furniture up, move some furniture down, build the bookshelf, fix the foot of my granny's wooden antique chest, fix the railing on the circular staircase, place the hardwood floor in the new living area, paint the ceilings, fix the plastering on the old walls, finish the ceiling and walls downstairs in the wine shop, place the new tile floor, place the new kitchenette in the wineshop, finish the toilet downstairs, place the washbasin, lay out the new garden arrangement, place the courtyard tiles and get me some hot water in the new kictchen.
If only I could clone him. I reckon if I had about 15 Jopies running around doing these odd jobs, the work could be done within a month.
This morning after freshly squosen juice (I made up this word as there is no word in English to describe the kind of juice I make; the word squeezed does not float my boat) of celery stalks, oranges, carrots, apples and root ginger, we each made a list of what jobs could and should be done today, this very day.
Of course the lists were completely different. His list was all about ventilation and visiting hardware stores, whereas my list made demands for fixing the broken foot of the chest, the desperate need for the bookshelf and the light fixtures....
We compromised -- he dropped me off to shop at Ikea, he went shopping for a 4 cm. piece of ventilation equipment, then he looked at the broken foot of the chest, I went off to the hairdesser and we sat in the sun just to relax and dream of a time when the job is done.